Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Town Spring
James Cunningham and Tallifero Finney each submitted springs for siting the new community. Cunningham's "round bowl spring of clear pure water" was selected. Preservation of public springs became one of the first responsibilities of the newly incorporated town's officials in 1809.
Early efforts included keeping the springs in good order and prevent nearby timber cutting as well as any other improprieties. Public meeting minutes from the 1820s reflect such diligence -– cleaning out the public spring, maintaining the fence around the spring lot, and banning both bathing and washing of clothes in the Town Spring.
Erected 2009 by City of Madison Bicentennial Commission.
Location. 33° 35.795′ N, 83° 28.249′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Academy Street and Burnett Street. Touch for map. The marker is located on the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Industrial Corridor (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Reconstruction Property Rights (about 400 feet away); Freedom of Assembly (about 500 feet away); The Town Park (about 600 feet away); Madison Station (about 600 feet away); Madison Train Station (about 600 feet away); Segregated Burial Grounds (about 600 feet away); Confederate Dead (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Natural Features • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 834 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.