Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Wayne in Allen County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Fort Wayne Well

 
 
Old Fort Wayne Well Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 20, 2009
1. Old Fort Wayne Well Marker
View of historical marker, which is situated horizontal, at ground level, after I have brushed away some of the dirt that obscured it from view.
Inscription.
The "Old Well," an important factor in the
existence of the fort and its people, saved
the fort from Indian fire brands in 1812.
Fort Wayne was first built, near by, in 1794.
It was rebuilt, on this site, in 1804, and 1815.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Research by
Allen County - Fort Wayne Historical Society
Architect: Courtney Robinson

 
Erected 1960 by Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 41° 4.889′ N, 85° 8.032′ W. Marker is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Clay Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in downtown Fort Wayne, just south of the Three Rivers area (where the St. Mary's and St. Joseph's Rivers come together to form the Maumee River) and is situated just east of the downtown fire station building. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Wayne IN 46802, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Last Two American Forts/The Siege of 1812 (here,
Old Fort Wayne Well Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 20, 2009
2. Old Fort Wayne Well Marker
Close up view of the reproduction of the "Old Well" with a view of the historical marker affixed to the ground level stones that make up the well's surrounding base platform.
next to this marker); The Site of General Wayne's Fort (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mother George (about 700 feet away); Pirogue Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kekionga (approx. 0.2 miles away); Journal Gazette Building (approx. mile away); The First Police Station (approx. mile away); The Canal House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Wayne.
 
More about this marker. This marker, situated on the site of the second and third military fortifications that were named Fort Wayne, is a block north of the historical marker for the first Fort Wayne.
 
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia entry for Fort Wayne, Indiana. (Submitted on July 29, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Forts of Fort Wayne, Indiana. This web link is published by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (Submitted on July 29, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMilitaryNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812Wars, US Indian
 
Old Fort Wayne Well Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 20, 2009
3. Old Fort Wayne Well Marker
View of "Old Well" looking eastward down East Main Street to it's intersection with Clay Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,439 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 28, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement