Norfolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Town Back Creek and Stone Bridge
Town Back Creek, extending eastwardly from the Elizabeth River almost to St. Paul’s Church, was the northern end of the original town of Norfolk. By the early 1800’s new residential development had occurred north of the creek. Two early footbridges connected this newer area to the old town, one at Catherine (now Bank) Street in 1798 and one at Granby Street in 1801. In 1818 – 1819 the one at Granby Street was replaced by Stone Bridge. It was built by William H. Jennings and was distinguished by an arched rise at its center. The bridge remained a local landmark until 1884 when filling of Town Back Creek to Granby Street was completed. City Hall Avenue was developed in 1885 as a grand boulevard from the City Hall (now MacArthur Memorial) to Granby Street. Most of the remainder of Town Back Creek was filled by 1905 and City Hall Avenue was extended westward. Major construction at this corner included the Monticello Hotel in 1898 and the Royster Building in 1912.
By Scott Rollins, July 3, 2009
1. Town Back Creek and Stone Bridge Marker
Location. 36° 50.874′ N, 76° 17.442′ W. Marker is in Norfolk
, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East City Hall Avenue and Monticello Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East City Hall Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norfolk VA 23510, United States of America. Touch for directions.
By Brandon D Cross, January 19, 2019
2. Town Back Creek and Stone Bridge Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Margaret Douglass (within shouting distance of this marker); Monticello Hotel, 1898 (within shouting distance of this marker); Tripoli Street (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Col. Samuel Leroy Slover (about 400 feet away); Old City Hall and Courthouse, 1850 (about 500 feet away); Governor Tazewell (about 500 feet away); Granby Street (about 600 feet away); Norfolk College for Young Ladies (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norfolk.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels •
3. Granby Street, 1868, Norfolk, Va.
This postcard view is the based on the same photograph as the image on the marker. This postcard publisher, however, colored it differently (e.g. the sky) than the marker's version of the image, and added some ships in the harbor in the background. Such alterations to images were common for postcard publishers of the era, and so the resulting postcard images should always be taken with a grain of salt. The postcard itself was likely produced around 1910.
More. Search the internet for Town Back Creek and Stone Bridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2009, by Kristin Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. This page has been viewed 750 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 29, 2009, by Kristin Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. 2. submitted on February 10, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 3. submitted on October 7, 2015. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.