Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Parris Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Parris Island Lighthouses

 
 
Parris Island Lighthouses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 26, 2009
1. Parris Island Lighthouses Marker
Inscription. In 1878, two lighthouses and a keeper's home were built on Parris Island. Standing 45 feet high, the front range light was on the marsh flats. The much taller rear beacon was further inland. Together, the two served as navigational points for ships entering Port Royal Sound.

Decommissioned in 1912, the tall structures were dismantled in the 1930s to make flight safer for aircraft from the new Page Field. The base of the front range was used during WWII as the target platform for bombing practice.

The oil house serving the rear beacon (right) still stands, and is the oldest surving structure on Parris Island.
 
Erected by U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island.
 
Location. 32° 18.344′ N, 80° 40.542′ W. Marker is in Parris Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker can be reached from Balleau Wood Road. Touch for map. Located off Balleau Wood Road Circle, south hiking trail. Marker is in this post office area: Parris Island SC 29905, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Parris Island Lighthouses (a few steps from this marker); Aqui Estuvo Espaņa (within shouting distance of this marker); Parris Island Indians
Front Beacon image. Click for full size.
By Parris Island Lighthouses Marker
2. Front Beacon
(within shouting distance of this marker); The First Inhabitants (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Port Royal (within shouting distance of this marker); Jean Ribault Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort San Marcos (within shouting distance of this marker); Parris Island Plantations (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Parris Island.
 
Also see . . .
1. Lighthouse friends. Parris Island, SC Lights (Submitted on July 31, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. The Parris Island Range Lights. (Submitted on July 31, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Categories. LandmarksWar, World IIWaterways & Vessels
 
Rear Beacon image. Click for full size.
By Parris Island Lighthouses Marker
3. Rear Beacon
Parris Island Lighthouses Oil House image. Click for full size.
4. Parris Island Lighthouses Oil House
front Marshflats as mentioned image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 26, 2008
5. front Marshflats as mentioned
Marshflats, looking across Port Royal Sound image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 26, 2009
6. Marshflats, looking across Port Royal Sound
Page Field ( marker ) as mentioned image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 26, 2009
7. Page Field ( marker ) as mentioned
Page Field Named in honor of Captain Arthur Hallet Page, Jr. Marine Corps Aviation January 16, 1918 to September 1, 1930
A variety of aircraft used Page Field, including Navy dirigibles, Corsairs, Wildcats, and B-25 bombers. It was also home to a glider squadron and a barrage balloon detachment. Deactivated after World War II, the field served as an emergency landing strip for some years. Today, Page Field is part of the Weapons and Field Training Battalion. Since 1996, the former airstip has been the site for Basic Warrior Training and the Crucible.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 867 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 31, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement