Beverly in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Hospital Point Lighthouse
The name Hospital Point stems from a smallpox hospital built on this site in 1801. The hospital, used as a barracks in the War of 1812, burned down in 1849. A watch house was built on these grounds as early as 1711. The "J" Shaped earth-work fort, which still stands, was built on the upper grounds in 1775.
The lighthouse was automated in 1947 and still serves as a Federal Aid to Navigation. The Light Keeper's House is home to the First Coast Guard District Commander and his or her family.
Tower Height: 45 feet
Height and Focal Plane: 70 Feet
Characteristic: Fixed White
Optic: 3 1/2 Order Fresnel Lens
Location. 42° 32.776′ N, 70° 51.381′ W. Marker is in Beverly, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is on Bay View Road 0.2 miles south of Neptune Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Bay View Road, Beverly MA 01915, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, Hospital Point Light / Honor the Valiant Men (a few steps from this marker); Salem Willows (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hale Farm (approx. 0.9 miles away); On "The Line" 1880-1940 (approx. one mile away); Salem Willows Park Opens for Business (approx. 1.1 miles away); Beverly Korean War Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Memorial Bell (approx. 1.4 miles away); Beverly Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beverly.
Also see . . . Hospital Point Range Front, MA. This web link is made available by lighthousefriends.com (Submitted on August 8, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Landmarks • War of 1812 • War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,206 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 7, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.