Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alpharetta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Milton County

 
 
Old Milton County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, September 27, 2008
1. Old Milton County Marker
Inscription. This was the Courthouse of Milton County at the time it was merged with Fulton County Jan. 1, 1932. When the County was created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 18, 1857, it was named for Homer V. Milton, General in the War of 1812, though some claim the name was for his ancestor John Milton, first Secretary of State of Georgia. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff James C. Mitchell; Clerk of Superior Court Joseph W. Johnston; Clerk of Inferior Court John L. Moore; Ordinary Oliver P. Skelton; Tax Receiver Barnabas B. Johnson; Tax Collector John K.C. Shirley; Treasurer John P. Reaves; Coroner H.W. Paris and Surveyor William Young.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-25A.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 4.513′ N, 84° 17.665′ W. Marker is in Alpharetta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (Georgia Route 9) and Jones Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map. The marker is located at the Alphretta City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 South Main Steet, Alpharetta GA 30004, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alpharetta Business District (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Alpharetta Business District (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Alpharetta Business District (within shouting distance of this marker); R.J. Webb Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Oliver-Waters-McCollum Warehouses (within shouting distance of this marker); J.J. Webb and Sons Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alpharetta Hotel Site (about 300 feet away); Manning Mercantile (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alpharetta.
 
More about this marker. The old Milton County Courthouse no longer stands.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USGovernmentPolitical Subdivisions
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,210 times since then and 38 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on August 7, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement