Roswell in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
By 1853 two cotton mills, a woolen mill, flour mill, and tannery were in operation, employing two hundred and fifty hands. In 1864, Sherman burned the mills, and skilled female operatives were sent north to deprive the south of their services.
The mills were rebuilt after the war and have been in continuous operation.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-4A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 0.92′ N, 84° 21.668′ W. Marker is in Roswell, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Sloan Street and Mill Street, on the right when traveling east on Sloan Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Roswell GA 30075, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Bricks (a few steps from this marker); Original Mill (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Roswell Square Bicentennial Restoration Project Nathaniel A. Pratt (about 600 feet away); Archibald Smith (about 600 feet away); John Dunwoody (about 700 feet away); James S. Bulloch (about 700 feet away); Elizabeth King Hand (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roswell.
Regarding Roswell Factory. The mills were rebuilt in 1882, and destroyed by lightning in 1929. The mill was rebuilt again, and continued in operation until 1975. The mill was restored and the space has been used as a restaurant since that time.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,084 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.