Near Fredericksburg in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Battle of Fredericksburg
After the December 1862 battle, Hamilton's Crossing burgeoned into a major supply base as trains from Richmond unloaded daily shipments of food, clothing, and other supplies for Lee's army. After the war, rail service to Fredericksburg resumed and the station at Hamilton's Crossing closed for good. Today, no evidence of it remains.
"the Depot is removed from Fredericksburg to our Crossing....We are surrounded with soldiers, camps and all the paraphernalia of war. It is so exacting, and our feelings are so above the ordinary ones that we can't tell whether it is pleasant or the contrary."
Erected 2009 by Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park.
Location. 38° 14.872′ N, 77° 26.123′ W. Marker is near Fredericksburg Touch for map. Marker is at the end of Lee Drive in the Fredericksburg National Military Park, just beyond a fence. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22408, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dead Horse Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson Holds Prospect Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); A Southern Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Meade Pyramid (approx. ¼ mile away); Fredericksburg Campaign (approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Union Breakthrough (approx. half a mile away); Death of Maxcy Gregg (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a photo graph of the Hamilton's Crossing area. The many buildings that comprised the wartime depot at Hamilton's Crossing were never photographed. By 1892, when this picture was taken, all traces of the railroad station had vanished.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 19, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,149 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 19, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.