Canton in Cherokee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Marietta and North Georgia Railroad reached Canton in 1879, providing a considerable stimulus to development.
The locally financed and managed textile mill, which began operations in 1900, has provided a payroll of much local importance.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 028-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 14.223′ N, 84° 29.451′ W. Marker is in Canton, Georgia, in Cherokee County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (Georgia Route 205) and South Church Street, on the left when traveling east on West Main Street. Touch for map. The marker is installed at a gazebo in a landscaped square in front of the Cherokee County House. Marker is in this post office area: Canton GA 30114, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cherokee County Gold (within Joseph Emerson Brown (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crescent Farm Rock Barn (approx. half a mile away); Fort Buffington (approx. 4.4 miles away); Battle of Taliwa (approx. 9.6 miles away); Old Pine Log Indian Town (approx. 12.6 miles away); Georgia Marble Company and the Village of Tate (approx. 13.6 miles away); Old Federal Road (approx. 14.2 miles away but has been reported missing). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
Regarding Cherokee County. The mill mentioned on the marker closed a number of years ago; after a number of attempts, the building has now been adaptively reused as shops and apartments.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Political Subdivisions • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,015 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.