Edgewater in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
South of the brook stood the Burdett homestead, Washington’s local headquarters.
Washington, Greene, Putnam and others crossed frequently here, dispatch-bearers arrived and departed, troops and military stores were landed at the wharf.
A memorial near the river recalls the engagements of August 18, October 8, 9, and 27, 1776, between General Mercer’s shore battery of eighteen-pounders and certain British ships-of-war.
Prepared for the mayor and council by the Edgewater Committee on Historic Sites, Edgewater, New Jersey.
July 4, 1952
Erected 1952 by Edgewater Committee on Historic Sites.
Location. 40° 50.616′ N, 73° 58′ W. Marker is in Edgewater, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Annett Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Edgewater NJ 07020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cannons (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historical Chronology 1776 (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Henry Knox (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Horatio Gates (approx. 0.3 miles away); Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Lee Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Army Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Barbette Battery (approx. 0.4 miles away).
Also see . . . History of the Edgewater Colony. Edgewater Colony was formally known as Burdett’s Landing. (Submitted on September 2, 2009.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2009, by Richard Dworkin of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 1,324 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 2, 2009, by Richard Dworkin of New York, New York. 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 30, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.