Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1985 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Historic Columbus Foundation.
Location. 32° 27.378′ N, 84° 59.515′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on 1st Avenue 0 miles north of West 5th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 527 1st Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John McIlhenny Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 to 1902 (about 700 feet Fourth Street Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gertrude "Ma" Rainey (approx. 0.2 miles away); Horace King (1807 - 1887) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas Greene Bethune (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frontier Wars (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Boats (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . The Folly. A description of the house and the unusual double-octagon floor plan. (Submitted on September 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,053 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.