Near Fortson in Harris County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
On this site was Camp McKenzie, a 350 acre tract used for approximately 75 years as the official campsite for the local councils of the Boy Scouts of America. Under the leadership of W. W. McKenzie and Fred H. Schomburg, together with J. Homer Dimon, Jas. B. Key, Dan Joseph, J. Dupont Kirven, H. B. Crowell and J. A. Thomas, Camp McKenzie was incorporated in March 1921. Through the efforts of Frank G. Lumpkin Sr., Sidney Colquitt and many others, funds were raised to purchase the acreage and construct facilities.
In 1965 a group led by Cason J. Callaway, Jr., donated an additional and adjacent 320-acre tract to the Chattahoochee Council. The new area was named Camp Callaway. In 1955, the Council signed an agreement with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for 900 acres of land on the West Point Lake and camping facilities have been moved to that location. This marker is erected to honor those men who had the foresight and the will to make Camp McKenzie and Camp Callaway possible for the thousands of boys who learned to love them both and who will forever hold fond memories of their experiences here.
Erected 2001 by Ole Scouts of Camp McKenzie and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Location. 32° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11133 Whitesville Road, Fortson GA 31808, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fortson House (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bartlett's Ferry Dam; Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Mountain Hill District Consolidated School (approx. 6 miles away); Kingsboro & Cataula (approx. 7.1 miles away); Textile and Banking Pioneer (approx. 7.5 miles away); Samuel Cooper (approx. 7.6 miles away); “Blind Tom” (approx. 8 miles away); Line 32° 28´ North Latitude (approx. 8.5 miles away in Alabama). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fortson.
More about this marker. While the marker is dated 1999, it was actually dedicated on October 5, 2001.
Additional keywords. Boy Scouts, Scouting
Categories. • 20th Century • Charity & Public Work • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,342 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.