Highlands in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Navesink Highlands Light Station
Twin Lights is famous as the first lighthouse in the United States to be fitted in 1841 with the revolutionary Fresnel lenses. These lenses create an intense and bright light that was visible at great distances.
In 1898, a large bivalve lens was installed in the south tower. This lens was, for many years, the most powerful light in the United States. The range of the light was 22 miles, but sailors reported seeing the flash against the night sky from as far as 70 miles away. This lens is currently on display in the powerhouse building down the walkway to your right.
Advances in navigation technology made many lighthouses obsolete, and in 1949, the Twin Lights were turned off. The lighthouse stood as a daytime beacon until it was removed from the official lists in 1951.
The federal government initially turned the property over to the Borough of Highlands. In 1961, it was given to the State of New Jersey and designated a State Historic Site. Twin Lights is listed on both the State and National Registers of Historic
Erected by NJ Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Parks & Forestry.
Location. 40° 23.783′ N, 73° 59.153′ W. Marker is in Highlands, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Lighthouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Twin Lights Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Navesink Light Station (here, next to this marker); Spermaceti Cove Lifeboat Station (a few steps from this marker); Marconi at Twin Lights (a few steps from this marker); The Old North Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Telegraph and Radar at Twin Lights (within shouting distance of this marker); Twin Lights Mystery Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Powerhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Highlands Doughboy World War I Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Highlands.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a picture of the Twin Lights of Navesink.
Also see . . . Twin Lights of Navesink website. (Submitted on September 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 740 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.