Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Highlands in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Powerhouse

 
 
Powerhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
1. Powerhouse Marker
Inscription. The building in front of you is the powerhouse. Inside the large double doors to your right were the engines and dynamos used to produce electrical power to light the lamp for the 1898 south tower Fresnel lens. This brick building, built in 1909, replaced a temporary wooden structure.

The noise from the engines housed inside was incredibly loud. Local residents complained about this and also about the intensity of light coming from the south tower. Blackout panels were installed on the landward side of the south tower, but nothing could be done about the noise.

In 1917, the machinery needed costly repairs. The Light House Board decided not to repair it, but instead replaced the electric lamp with an incandescent oil vapor lamp that was used until 1924 when commercial electrical power became available. The original machinery was removed in 1921, broken up and discarded because it was no longer needed.

Today the powerhouse is used as an exhibit building to display Twin Lights’ famous south tower Fresnel lens.

[Second Marker]
Electric Power Station

Twin Lights was the first primary seacoast light in the United States to use electricity. This building contained equipment for generating electric power for the light which produced 25,000,000 candlepower, by far the most powerful
Second Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
2. Second Marker
This marker is located on the east side of the powerhouse.
in United States.

This building, completed in 1909, replaced an earlier wood structure built in 1898.
 
Erected by NJ Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Parks & Forestry.
 
Location. 40° 23.761′ N, 73° 59.139′ W. Marker is in Highlands, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker can be reached from Lighthouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Twin Lights Historic Site, at the south end of the parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Twin Lights Mystery Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); The Navesink Highlands Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Navesink Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Spermaceti Cove Lifeboat Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Marconi at Twin Lights (within shouting distance of this marker); Telegraph and Radar at Twin Lights (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old North Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Highlands Doughboy World War I Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Highlands.
 
More about this marker. The bottom left of the
Powerhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
3. Powerhouse Marker
marker contains The Hornsby Akroyd Company Advertisement. “Hornsby Akroyd engines ran on kerosene and were used to turn electric dynamos that powered the south tower beacon. There were two of these engines in this powerhouse. Courtesy of Ray Hooley” Next to this is a copy of a “Letter of Complaint about the South Tower Beacon, July 26, 1898. Courtesy of the National Archives.” The right of the marker features a photograph of “Lighthouse Keeper Murphy Rockett examining the South Tower Fresnel Lens, 1937. At 25,000,000-candle power, this was one of the brightest beacons in the United States. Courtesy of the Twin Lights Historical Society.
 
Also see . . .  Twin Lights of Navesink website. (Submitted on September 23, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels
 
Marker on the Side of the Powerhouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
4. Marker on the Side of the Powerhouse
Twin Lights Powerhouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
5. Twin Lights Powerhouse
Back of the Powerhouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
6. Back of the Powerhouse
The second marker can be seen to the right of the side door of the powerhouse.
Fresnel Lens image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2009
7. Fresnel Lens
The Powerhouse now houses exhibits, such as this Fresnel Lens originally located in the South Tower.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 704 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 23, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement