Würzburg, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
Translated, the marker reads: In the years 1767-1773, Prince-Bishop Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim built on the banks of the Main River a lifting facility, which is known by the name "Old Cranes". This crane was used by barge operators to unload ships until 1846. The executive architect was Franz Ignaz Neumann, the son of the famous Baroque master Johann Balthasar Neumann. With this structure Franz Ignaz Neumann created an engineering marvel which is still admired today.
Location. 49° 47.767′ N, 9° 55.555′ E. Marker is in Würzburg, Bavaria. Marker is at the intersection of Kranenkai and Gerberstrasse, on the right when traveling south on Kranenkai. Touch for map. The Old Cranes are located on the river bank, roughly 150 feet west of where Gerberstrasse runs into Kranenkai/Mainkai. Marker is in this post office area: Würzburg, Bavaria 97070, Germany.
Other nearby markers. The Lower Main Mill (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Der Kreuzgang des Neumuensterstiftes / The Cloister of the Neumuenster Seminary (approx. half a kilometer away); Schönbornkapelle / Schönborn Chapel (approx. half a kilometer away); Hof Guttenberg / St. Gallus House (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Antonius Neidhardt Graf von Gneisenau / Field Marshal Antonius Neidhardt, Count of Gneisenau (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Johann Lukas Schönlein (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Rabbiner Seligmann Bär Bamberger (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Frühgotische Doppeltoranlage / Early Gothic Double-Gate Structure (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Würzburg.
More about this marker. The marker is located on the north side of the crane structure, below street level (take the stairs down from the street to the quay level).
Also see . . . Alter Kranen (Würzburg). Wikipedia.org's German language article on the history of the Old Crane. (Submitted on September 24, 2009.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,811 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 24, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.