Ellinger in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
James J. Ross
Col. Ross, as he was known, soon assumed a position of leadership as captain of the militia of the Colorado District. He was a delegate to the second convention at San Felipe in 1833 and was one of those appointed in 1834 to help obtain Austin's release from imprisonment in Mexico. He helped establish a stage line and a stop that became the town of Fayetteville.
An important figure during the early years of settlement in this part of the state, Ross was a successful farmer, rancher, trader, and merchant. Ross Prairie and Ross Creek, both in this vicinity, bear his name. He was killed by angry neighbors in January 1835 for sheltering Indians at his home and was buried in nearby Ross Cemetery. His home, which came to be known as the Ross/Martinek House, was owned by Czech immigrant Joseph Martinek and his descendants for nearly seventy years.
Erected 1985 by Texas
Location. 29° 51.222′ N, 96° 43.726′ W. Marker is in Ellinger, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is on East Farm Road 955, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is NW of Ellinger on East Farm Road 955, Just off Highway 71. Marker is in this post office area: Ellinger TX 78938, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Zapp Building (approx. 4.7 miles away); Site of Svrcek Garage (approx. 4.7 miles away); Site of Svrcek Building (approx. 4.7 miles away); Site of Burnam's Ferry (approx. 5.4 miles away); Rutersville (approx. 7.7 miles away); Asa Hill of Rutersville (approx. 7.7 miles away); Old Osage (approx. 7.9 miles away); Oldenburg (approx. 8.7 miles away).
Also see . . . James J. Ross from the Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on October 1, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,576 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.