Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
City of Columbus
A reservation of 1200 acres was allotted for the town and commons. Surveying of streets began Feb. 1, 1828 and was completed within three months. Within 13 days after the sale of city lots began, July 10, 1828, 488 of the total 632 lots had been sold. The remaining lots were sold in February, 1829.
Ignatius Few, Edwin L. de Graffenried, James Hallam, Philip H. Alston and Elias Beall were designated commissioners to conduct the sale. Edward Lloyd Thomas was the surveyor in charge. Governor John Forsyth and his staff attended the initial sale. While here they camped in tents pitched on the town commons which bordered the river between the present Fourth and Seventh streets.
By the end of 1829 the city had 1,000 inhabitants.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kirven's Department Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ledger-Enquirer Newspapers (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Oglethorpe House (about 600 feet away); First Black Public School (about 800 feet away); Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Thomas H. Brewer (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Government • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 830 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.