Waldo in Marion County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Harrison Military Road
War of 1812
Side A: The first road through Marion County followed the Scioto Trail of the Native Americans. This 120-foot wide strip through Wyandot territory led from Lower Sandusky (Fremont) to the Greenville Treaty Line. A confederation of Ohio tribes ceded it to the United States at the Treaty of Brownsville, Michigan, in 1808. During the War of 1812, the troops of General William Henry Harrison's Army of the Northwest traveled this road en route to Fort Meigs and the British fort at Detroit, using it to transport supplies to the army and to the chain of forts and blockhouses that protected the road. After the American victory, this area was opened for settlement by the 1817 Treaty of the Maumee Rapids, and soldiers who discovered the area while traveling the Military Road were among the first settlers.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
On February 4, 1822, the Ohio Legislature established a State Road from Norton to Sandusky along this route. It has also been known as the War Road, Norton Road, Marion-Delaware Pike, U.S. 23, and now, State Route 423. Near here, along the Olentangy (Whetstone) River, was Fort Morrow, one of a series of forts used to house troops and the earliest settlers including the Brundiges, Drakes, and Wyatts, who settled south of the Greenville Treaty line
Erected 2002 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Marion County Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-51.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 27.554′ N, 83° 4.628′ W. Marker is in Waldo, Ohio, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Marion Street (Ohio Route 423) and Main Street, on the right when traveling north on Marion Street. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Waldo Village and Township Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 N. Marion Street, Waldo OH 43356, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Waldo Township Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Fort Morrow (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Marion County Trial of Bill Anderson (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Underground Railroad Prospect War Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); Prospect State Route 47 Bridge (approx. 6 miles away); Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate (approx. 6.4 miles away); Greenville Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waldo.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,102 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.