Lima in Allen County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Old Bell
Cast in Cincinnati about 1840, this bell was brought to Lima by way of the Miami Erie Canal and horse drawn wagon, and placed in Allen County's 1842 Courthouse. It rang the hour, announced births and deaths, called citizens to church and town meetings, alerted volunteer firemen, and celebrated national holidays. During the 1876 Centennial of The American Revolution, an extra burst of zeal seriously damaged the bell after which it narrowly escaped the scrap heap. Placed here in 1992 to honor The Sesquicentennial of Lima's Charter it is displayed to remind its citizens of what originally brought them together.
Location. 40° 44.57′ N, 84° 6.317′ W. Marker is in Lima, Ohio, in Allen County. Marker is at the intersection of North Street (Ohio Route 81) and Main Street, on the right when traveling west on North Street. Marker and bell are near the flagpole at the southeast corner of the Allen County Courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lima OH 45802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Allen County, Ohio (a few steps from this marker); Allen County Veterans Memorial Ohio's First Electric Street Car Line (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Faurot Opera House (about 500 feet away); Site Of Lima's First Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Servicemen's Free Canteen (approx. 0.2 miles away); Korean War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lima.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Communications • Government • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for The Old Bell.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,222 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.