Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sandy Springs in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

23d A.C. to Decatur

 
 
23d A.C. to Decatur Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 3, 2009
1. 23d A.C. to Decatur Marker
Inscription. July 17, 1864. Schofieldís 23d A.C. left its river positions near Isomís ferry on a march designed to gain the N.E. sector of the final approach to Atlanta by Federal forces.

Coxís (3d) div continued to Sandy Springs on this road where a rt. turn headed the column on its three-day march to Decatur, DeKalb Co. To secure wider coverage of the immediate front, Hascallís (2d) div. turned south across Long Island Cr. to Mt. Paran Rd. where it camped at or near the Burdett farm. The 4th A.C. (last of the 7 Federal corps to leave the river) began its march from Crossroads Church to Buckhead the next day, via Powerís Fy. Rd.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-10.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 55.125′ N, 84° 23.582′ W. Marker is in Sandy Springs, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Mount Vernon Highway and Long Island Drive NW, on the right when traveling east on Mount Vernon Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30328, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
23d A.C. to Decatur Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 3, 2009
2. 23d A.C. to Decatur Marker
Looking west on Mount Vernon Highway, toward the Crossroads Church and the Chatthoochee River
. To Sandy Springs and Old Cross Keys (approx. ľ mile away); Sandy Springs United Methodist Church Historic Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); The History of the City of Sandy Springs, Georgia (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Sandy Springs (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gen. J. D. Cox's Div. To Old Cross Keys (approx. one mile away); 4th & 23d A.C. Advance (approx. 1.6 miles away); Isom's Ferry (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hascallís Div. Camped (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Springs.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
23d A.C. to Decatur Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 3, 2009
3. 23d A.C. to Decatur Marker
Looking east on Mount Vernon Highway, with the Long Island Drive intersection in the background
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 692 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement