Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cordesville in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Strawberry Chapel

 
 
Strawberry Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Strawberry Chapel Marker
Inscription. Chapel of Ease to St. John's (Biggin's Church), built about 1725 on land bequeathed by James Child, founder at this place, of the Town of Childbury. Strawberry Ferry was established here by Act of Assembly in 1705. (Marker Number 8-20.)
 
Location. 33° 5.751′ N, 79° 55.983′ W. Marker is in Cordesville, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is at the intersection of Dr. Evans Road (State Road 8-44) and Strawberry Church Road, on the right when traveling south on Dr. Evans Road (State Road 8-44). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mepkin Plantation (approx. 1½ miles away); Francis Marion (approx. 5 miles away); St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease / Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 5½ miles away); Pompion Hill Chapel (approx. 5.7 miles away); Mulberry Plantation (approx. 5.9 miles away); Lewisfield Plantation (approx. 6.9 miles away); Brabant Plantation (approx. 7 miles away); Wadboo Barony (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cordesville.
 
Regarding Strawberry Chapel. Childsbury, one of the early towns to be laid out in South Carolina (1707), is significant
Strawberry Chapel Marker looking north along Dr. Evans Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 26, 2009
2. Strawberry Chapel Marker looking north along Dr. Evans Road
as an important archaeological site. Englishman James Child started a ferry here as it was the only practical ferry site across the Cooper River within a reasonable distance. Property was designated for a college, a free school, a house for the schoolmaster, a place of worship, and a market square. To the inhabitants of Childsbury, Child gave 600 acres to farm and pasture. He also gave them the 100-acre hill by the river to build upon as a citadel to protect the town in times of war. Due mainly to the rise of the new and growing plantations, Childsbury began a rapid decline and the town site eventually became part of a plantation. Strawberry Chapel is the only visible remains of the town of Childsbury. Architecturally the chapel displays the simple, yet dignified and impressive lifestyle of an Episcopalian Chapel of Ease. This one story rectangular brick building has an unadorned hipped gable roof. The double three paneled door of the façade, surmounted by flush fanlight is symmetrically situated between two shuttered windows of the same three panel design. These chapels were built to serve the people for whom the regular parish church was inaccessible. Strawberry Chapel became unique as a Chapel of Ease in that it is operated as a full parish church. Usually these chapels were denied some of the privileges of a parish church. A small cemetery is adjacent to the chapel.
Strawberry Chapel Marker seen along Strawberry Church Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 26, 2009
3. Strawberry Chapel Marker seen along Strawberry Church Road
Listed in the National Register April 26, 1972. (South Carolina Department of Archives and History)

National Register of Historic Places:
Strawberry Chapel and Childsbury Town Site (added 1972 - Site - #72001194)
SE of Moncks Corner on CR 44, N of the Tee of the Cooper River, Moncks Corner
♦ Historic Significance: Information Potential
♦ Area of Significance: Religion, Agriculture, Military, Transportation, Education, Architecture
♦ Cultural Affiliation: Early American Settlement
♦ Period of Significance: 1700-1749
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Domestic, Religion
♦ Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure, Village Site
♦ Current Function: Religion
♦ Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
 
Also see . . .  Touring South Carolina's Revolutionary War Sites By Daniel W. Barefoot, page 43. mention of Strawberry Chapel (Submitted on October 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
Strawberry Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 26, 2009
4. Strawberry Chapel
Strawberry Chapel with cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 26, 2009
5. Strawberry Chapel with cemetery
Strawberry Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 26, 2009
6. Strawberry Chapel
The sign does read "Private Property"
Strawberry Chapel image. Click for full size.
S.C. Dept. of Archives and History, circa 1972
7. Strawberry Chapel
Strawberry Chapel image. Click for full size.
S.C. Dept. of Archives and History, circa 1972
8. Strawberry Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,400 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement