Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St Marys in Camden County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Marys Methodist Church Established 1799-1800

Celebrated Sesqui-Centennial 1949

 
 
St. Marys Methodist Church Established 1799-1800 Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 26, 2008
1. St. Marys Methodist Church Established 1799-1800 Marker
Inscription. This church is the oldest religious organization in the city, although not the oldest church building. George Clark served as the first missionary to the people here in 1792. John Garvin was the first appointed Pastor to St. Marys in 1799. Methodist services were first held in the building erected for a Courthouse.

In 1812 the City of St. Marys deeded Methodists a lot 200 x 200 ft., still in use at this time. Church built after 1812 was in use until a few years before the Civil War when the old church moved to another site and given to the Negro Methodists. Present church was built before the Civil War. While St. Marys was occupied by Federal troops in 1862, this church was used as a Quartermaster’s Dept. where animals were butchered.

A deed was granted the church in 1878. The building was renovated on several occasions. Between 1792-1955, 103 Pastors have served this church. It was the first charge of Bishop Arthur J. Moore in 1909.

A deed was granted the church in 1878. The building was renovated on several occasions. Between 1792-1955, 103 Pastors have served this church. It was the first charge of Bishop Arthur J. Moore in 1909.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 020-11.)
 
Marker series.
St. Marys Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 10, 2013
2. St. Marys Methodist Church and Marker
This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 30° 43.484′ N, 81° 32.81′ W. Marker is in St Marys, Georgia, in Camden County. Marker is on Conyers Street 0 miles east of Osborne Street (Georgia Route 40), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys GA 31558, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington Pump & Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Oak Tree Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Clark-Berssant House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away); City of St. Marys (about 500 feet away); Spanish Occupation of Georgia (about 500 feet away); First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840 (about 700 feet away); Captain Lemuel Johnson Memorial and Park (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St Marys.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,223 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on March 10, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement