Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. James United Methodist Church
The white marble monument across the street was erected by a St. James Sunday School class in memory of those who had lost their lives in the Civil War. 24 church members’ and 261 other Augustans’ names are inscribed on the monument. The cenotaph was unveiled on December 31, 1873.
The building adjacent to the church was built in 1916 as the parsonage. It was renamed the “Ministry Building” in 1981.
President Eisenhower worshipped here on January 3, 1954.
Emma S. Lester, an early missionary to China wrote in the history of the church this statement: “May St. James shine as a beacon light for centuries to come, and when the summons come that time shall be no more, may the beams from her light ever to the portals of heaven.”
Location. 33° 28.233′ N, 81° 57.5′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Greene Street 0.1 miles east of 5th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 439 Greene Street, Augusta GA 30901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans of All Wars (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birthplace of the Augusta Chronicle (about 700 feet away); The “Haunted” Pillar of the Lower Market (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bicentennial Augusta, Ga (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Signer's Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Richmond County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Army National Guard (approx. ¼ mile away); The First Academy of Richmond County (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,025 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 7, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on May 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.