Blakely in Early County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Confederate Flag Pole
The stalwart pole was hewn from a long leaf pine tree that grew one mile southwest of this city in Early county. It was hauled by a yoke of oxen into Blakely and erected where it now stands by Thomas Williams and others on MAY 16TH, 1861.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 049-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 22.678′ N, 84° 56.06′ W. Marker is in Blakely, Georgia, in Early County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Georgia Route 1) and College Street, in the median on Main Street. Touch for map. The marker is at the northwest corner of the courthouse square in Blakely. Marker is in this post office area: Blakely GA 39823, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early County (a few steps from this marker); Three Notch Trail (approx. 1.8 miles away); Kolomoki Mounds State Park 4 mi. (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different Three Notch Trail (approx. 3.5 miles away); Kolomoki Mounds Archaeological Area (approx. 6.3 miles away); Centerville United Methodist Church (approx. 7.5 miles away); Old Factory Creek (approx. 7.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Sowhatchee Elementary School (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blakely.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,324 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 17, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 5. submitted on January 26, 2011, by Ken Moser of Cartersville, Georgia. 6, 7. submitted on October 17, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.