Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Vincennes, on the Wabash River, was established as the seat of government.
President John Adams appointed William Henry Harrison the first Territorial Governor. Harrison later became the ninth President of the United States.
Erected by Indiana Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 38° 41.123′ N, 87° 31.548′ W. Marker is in Vincennes, Indiana, in Knox County. Marker is on Park Street east of East Scott Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Near front of "Grouseland" (William Henry Harrison Home) - and a short walk from the "Indiana Territory" Historical buildings (on Harrison Street). Marker is in this post office area: Vincennes IN 47591, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Millstones from Emison Mills (a few steps from this marker); "Grouseland" (a few steps Sarah Knox Taylor (a few steps from this marker); William Henry Harrison - & - Lewis & Clark Expedition (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel Thornton Scott ( 1777 - 1827 ) (within shouting distance of this marker); Vincennes University (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chief Tecumseh (about 700 feet away); The Baty Place (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vincennes.
Also see . . . Vincennes Historic Buildings ::. Links of interest which include photos and other items. (Submitted on October 13, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Civil Rights • Government • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,122 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on October 13, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.