Cainhoy in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Thomas Church
Location. 32° 57.66′ N, 79° 51.403′ W. Marker is in Cainhoy, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Cainhoy Road (State Highway 8-98). Touch for map. Located North of Brick Church Road. Marker is in this post office area: Huger SC 29450, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brabant Plantation ( approx. 4.1 miles away); Thomas Lynch at Rivertowne ( approx. 4.6 miles away); Otranto Indigo Vat ( approx. 4.7 miles away); Wando Pottery ( approx. 5 miles away); Point Plantation / Richmond Plantation ( approx. 5.4 miles away); Phillips Community ( approx. 6.1 miles away); Brickyard Plantation ( approx. 7.9 miles away); Sweetgrass Baskets ( approx. 8 miles away).
Regarding St. Thomas Church. (St. Thomas & St. Dennis Parish Episcopal Church; Brick Church) White Church, or St. Thomas & St. Dennis Parish Episcopal Church, was constructed in 1819 and occupies the site of the older parish church of St. Thomas, which was built about
The church, charming in its simplicity of design, is a uniquely beautiful example of a small, rural parish church of the early 1800s. The church, with its Classical Revival or late Federal features, is made of stucco over brick with a medium gable roof made of tile. A high-arched doorway with a fanlight capped by a five-panel arch is set between pilasters. The side facades are identical. A balcony above the inside door was added about 1858. In 1937 the church was restored by Henry F. Guggenheim. An unusual and distinctive auxiliary building is the vestry, with hipped roof on one end and chimney on the other, giving the appearance of a half-completed building. A cemetery dating from 1782 is included in the nomination. Listed in the National Register September 22, 1977. ( S.C. Dept. Of Archives and History )
Also see . . . Touring South Carolina's Revolutionary War Sites By Daniel W. Barefoot, page 39. Richard Fordham grave (here) notes he served aboard frigate Randolph during the Revolution (Submitted on October 17, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,059 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 17, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.