Near Madison in Madison County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Hebron Lutheran Church
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number JE-4.)
Location. 38° 23.728′ N, 78° 15.271′ W. Marker is near Madison, Virginia, in Madison County. Marker is on North Blue Ridge Turnpike (Virginia Route 231) south of Hebron Church Road (County Route 638), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison VA 22727, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Jackson’s March to Fredericksburg (approx. 0.7 miles away); James L. Kemper Residence (approx. 0.8 miles away); Cpl. Clinton Greaves (1855-1906) (approx. 1.1 miles away); Joseph Early Home (approx. 4.4 miles away); Oak Grove Baptist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Blue Ridge Turnpike (approx. 5.2 miles away); A Camp of Stonewall Jackson’s (approx. 5.8 miles away); Battle of Jack’s Shop (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
More about this marker. This marker replaces a marker with this same number titled “Hebron Church” from the late 1920s that stood 6 miles further north on this highway. It read “One mile south stands Hebron Church, the oldest Lutheran church in the South, built about 1740. The first communion service bears the date, May 13, 1727; another date, March 28, 1737. The organ was built in 1800.”
Regarding Hebron Lutheran Church. Church is one mile from this marker on Hebron Church Road at Blankenbaker Road.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Mitchells Presbyterian Church in Culpeper County was also decorated by Joseph Oddenino. And there is a marker to the organ-maker, David Tannenberg, in Bethlehem, Pennsylvaniia.
Also see . . .
1. The Germanna Colonies In Virginia — History. “In 1717, a Second Colony of Germans came to Germanna and were settled across the river from Germanna in the Great Fork. They were Lutherans from the Palatinate and Baden-Wurttemberg regions of Germany. They paid passage to their intended destination, Pennsylvania, but the captain landed in Virginia where he demanded
“The Colonists of 1717 and 1719 remained in the Germanna neighborhood until 1725 or 1726 when they acquired land in Madison County. Many of these names are prominent in Madison and the surrounding area today. The Hebron Lutheran Church in Madison County remains today with an active congregation after being built by these Germanna Settlers in 1740.” (Submitted on June 1, 2008.)
2. Hebron Lutheran Church. “Located just north of Madison, VA, the Hebron Lutheran Church is the oldest continuously operating Lutheran Church in the U.S. and is one of a handful of wooden Virginia churches that pre-date the Revolutionary War.” This page has a photo of the interior. (Submitted on June 1, 2008.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Hebron Lutheran Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 5,537 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on October 17, 2009, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 1, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 8, 9. submitted on October 2, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 10, 11, 12. submitted on June 24, 2017, by Pete Payette of Orange, Virginia.