Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
—The Museum in the Streets —
Titicus was part of the second purchase of land in 1715. It was bought from Tackora (Oreneca), the Sachem of Titicus Village, for four pounds in Connecticut currency.
Titicus School, now the home of the American Legion, was built around 1761 as a one-room schoolhouse which housed Grades 1-8. Organized in 1920, the American Legion took over the building in the 1990s and named it for Everett Ray Seymour, the first Ridgefield soldier to lose his life in World War I. (Marker Number 26.)
Location. 41° 17.53′ N, 73° 30.2′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of N Salem Road (Connecticut Route 116) and New Street, on the right when traveling south on N Salem Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Titicus: An Industrial Center (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Settlers Rock (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Ridgefield (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Ridgefield Dead (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Battle of Ridgefield, April 27, 1777 (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Gilbert House (approx. half a mile away); The Elms Inn and Stebbins Homestead (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named The Battle of Ridgefield (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
More about this marker. The left of the marker features a photograph of the unveiling of the Settler’s Rock plaque in 1958. A photograph on the bottom right of the marker shows school children standing in front of the Titicus School.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,045 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 17, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.