Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of Santa Cruz Mission
Erected 1939 by California State Department of Parks & Recreation in cooperation with the Monterey Viejo Chapter 1846, E. Clampus Vitus & the Santa Cruz Historical Society. (Marker Number 342.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 36° 58.674′ N, 122° 1.776′ W. Marker is in Santa Cruz, California, in Santa Cruz County. Marker is at the intersection of Emmett Street and School Street, on the left when traveling east on Emmett Street. Touch for map. State Historic Landmarks plaque located in Plaza Park at the intersection of Emmet & School Streets. Mission entrance at the intersection of School & Adobe Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Cruz CA 95060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Francisco Alzina House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Willey House (about 300 feet away); Santa Cruz Main Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Santa Cruz County World War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); People's Bank (approx. ¼ mile away); Tom Scribner (approx. ¼ mile away); Colonial Revival Style (approx. ¼ mile away); Pacific Avenue Commercial Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Cruz.
Regarding Site of Santa Cruz Mission. Mission Church is ½ size reconstruction of the original church built in 1931 to replace the original severly damaged in 1840 by earthquake.
Also see . . . Mission Santa Cruz. (Submitted on September 8, 2007.)
Additional keywords. Father Junipero Serra, Spanish Colonial Era in California
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Native Americans • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2007, by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 8,431 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2007, by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. 4. submitted on September 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.