Moncks Corner in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Location. 33° 12.779′ N, 79° 57.981′ W. Marker is in Moncks Corner, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on State Highway 402, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located between Carswell Lane and Biggins Road. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Santee Canal (approx. 0.8 miles away); Berkeley County Confederate Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Santee Canal (approx. 1.4 miles away); Colleton House: “Unmanly Practices” or Legitimate Target? (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fort Fair Lawn: An Archeaological Treasure C.S.S. David (approx. 1.4 miles away); Stony Landing House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Wadboo Barony (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moncks Corner.
Regarding Biggin Church. Biggin Church Ruins are the remains of the parish church of St. Johns Parish. The church was established by an act of the South Carolina Commons House of Assembly in 1706, which divided the colony into ten parishes. The original Biggin Church was probably completed ca. 1711. Biggin Church was used through the mid-nineteenth century and the surrounding cemetery is still being used. During the American Revolution, ammunitions were stored in the church by British troops who, upon leaving, set the church on fire. The church was burned several other times throughout its use, the last time in the late 1800s when it was not subsequently rebuilt. For many years the site served as a local brickyard. Although only portions of two walls remain, there is evidence that originally Biggin Church was designed with a degree of sophistication. Notable architectural details which remain include a Gibbs surround at the main portal, quoins at the
(South Carolina Department of Archives and History )
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. see Strawberry Chapel
Also see . . .
1. Biggin Church. The site on which this Church is situated is said to have received its name from Biggin Hill in Kent, England (Submitted on October 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Touring South Carolina's Revolutionary War Sites By Daniel W. Barefoot, page 44-45. Biggin Church was located at the intersection of three roads... (Submitted on October 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
More. Search the internet for Biggin Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,188 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8, 9. submitted on April 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.