Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lumpkin in Stewart County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse

 
 
Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
1. Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse Marker
Side 1
Inscription. Side 1:
Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church
This church served as the focus for the religious, educational and cultural life of African Americans in the Green Grove community during the late 19th century and well into the 20th century. Deacons Perry Hudson, Isaac Shorter and Lewis Cherry held the first church assembly under a brush arbor in 1886. The first church building was destroyed by a tornado c. 1919 and the second house of worship was consumed by a fire c. 1924. The congregation then moved the church to the present site which is three miles south of the original location.

Side 2:
Green Grove Schoolhouse
The old schoolhouse was moved to the Green Grove community from the nearby community of Wesley Chapel and rebuilt at this site c. 1937. During the next 21 years the school produced many professionals which included a large number of teachers. The Stewart County Board of Education closed the school in 1958 and sold it to the African American trustees in the community. Green Grove was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. Today the complex continues to serve the religious, educational and cultural needs of families and friends whose lives have been shaped by the historic church and schoolhouse.
 
Erected
Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
2. Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse Marker
Side 2
2000 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Friends of the Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church, School and Cemetery Complex.
 
Location. 32° 0.47′ N, 84° 51.7′ W. Marker is near Lumpkin, Georgia, in Stewart County. Marker is on Old Eufaula Road (County Route 149) 0.6 miles east of County Route 13, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Old Eufaula Road extends west from the Stewart-Quitman High School, southwest of Lumpkin. Marker is in this post office area: Lumpkin GA 31815, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Masonic Female College (approx. 4.8 miles away); Providence Canyons (approx. 4.8 miles away); Rev. David Walker Lowe (approx. 4.8 miles away); John Wellborn Root Birthplace Site (approx. 4.9 miles away); Bedingfield Inn (approx. 4.9 miles away); Our Soldiers (approx. 4.9 miles away); County Courthouse (approx. 4.9 miles away); Lumpkin and Stewart County (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lumpkin.
 
Categories. African AmericansCemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Education
 
Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
3. Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse Marker
Side 1
Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
4. Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse Marker
Side 1 The church is in the center, and Old Eufaula Road (County Rod 149) on the right.
Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
5. Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse Marker
Side 2
Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
6. Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church
Green Grove Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
7. Green Grove Schoolhouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,593 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 7, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement