Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Gilbert House

Circa 1790

 
 
The Gilbert House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 17, 2009
1. The Gilbert House Marker
Inscription. Built by Benjamin Stebbins for his daughter Sarah and her husband Amos Baker, a Revolutionary War Hero, the first surgeon in Ridgefield and the originator of the famous Baker Apple.
 
Location. 41° 17.157′ N, 73° 29.919′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Main Street (Connecticut Route 35) 0.1 miles north of Gilbert Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of Ridgefield, April 27, 1777 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Ridgefield Dead (about 300 feet away); The Elms Inn and Stebbins Homestead (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Ridgefield (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Battle of Ridgefield (about 800 feet away); Ridgefield (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smith Tavern – A Colonial Meeting Place (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ballard Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
 
Regarding The Gilbert House. This house is private property. Please do not block the driveway, disturb the occupants, or trespass onto the
The Gilbert House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 17, 2009
2. The Gilbert House and Marker
property.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
The Gilbert House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 17, 2009
3. The Gilbert House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,221 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement