Coltons Point in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“With a laudable and pious zeal...”
“for the propagation of the Christian faith”
Catholic leaders were determine to practice their religion as the planted their new Maryland Colony. They had left an England that was persecuting Catholics and a Europe racked by bloody religious wars.
Lord Baltimore, Cecil Calvert, instructed Catholic settlers to "treate the Protestants with as much mildness and favor as Justice will permitt." By 1649, the Maryland General Assembly made this policy official. The "Act Concerning Religion" declared that "no person or persons...professing beleeve in Jesus Christ...shall [be in] any waies troubled, molested or discountenance...in respect of his or her Religion." Seventeenth-century Maryland was a leader on the road to religious toleration.
[image of 1634 colonists on St. Clement's Island] "In this place on our b[lessed] ladies day in lent, we first offered [the sacrifice of the mass], erected a crosse, and with devotion took solemne possession of the Country." - Jesuit missionary and Maryland settler Father Andrew White, 1634.
A Homemade Symbol of Religious Toleration
In 1934, people gathered here on Maryland's 300th birthday
[photo of 1634 ceremonies]
Location. 38° 12.504′ N, 76° 44.663′ W. Marker is in Coltons Point, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Point Breeze Road 0.2 miles east of Colton Point Road (Maryland Route 242). Touch for map. Marker is on St. Clements Island which is only accessibly by boat. A ferry operates on weekends from the St. Clement's Island Museum on Point Breeze Road. Marker is in this post office area: Coltons Point MD 20626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Clement's Island (a few steps from this marker); Welcome to St. Clement's Island (within shouting distance of this marker); A Target for Big Guns (within shouting distance of this marker); Blackistone Island Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); "...one of the pleasantest summer resorts on the Potomac" (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Shrinking Island (about 600 feet away); Maryland Began Here! (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Welcome to St. Clement's Island (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coltons Point.
Categories. • 20th Century • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 641 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.