Lewistown in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Formed September 19, 1789 from Cumberland and Northumberland counties, and named for Thomas Mifflin, Governor, 1790-99. County seat, Lewistown, was laid out 1790; incorporated 1795. Important in Pennsylvania's canal development and early iron industry.
Erected 1981 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 35.855′ N, 77° 34.49′ W. Marker is in Lewistown, Pennsylvania, in Mifflin County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker stands in front of the old county courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Lewistown PA 17044, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Montgomery Ward Building (a few steps from this marker); Mifflin County Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Wollner Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Temple Building (within shouting distance of this marker); McCoy Home Coleman House (within shouting distance of this marker); WMRF (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewistown.
Also see . . . Mifflin County. Official Site (Submitted on July 20, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Government • Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 753 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 8, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.