Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valliant in McCurtain County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Elliott Academy

 
 
Elliott Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Byron Hooks, October 20, 2009
1. Elliott Academy Marker
Inscription. Established here in 1869 as Oak Hill Industrial Academy by Presbyterian Board of Missions as boarding school for children of Choctaw Freedmen. Academy succeeded small school begun in 1860 by ex-slave and Presbyterian Minister Charles W. Stewart to serve numerous black families who had settled here after Civil War. Name changed in 1912 after David Elliott gave funds for new dormitory in memory of his wife, Alice Lee. Students cleared and operated large farm to help support school. Hundreds of students trained at academy before closure in 1936.
 
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 198.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 34° 0.38′ N, 95° 7.165′ W. Marker is in Valliant, Oklahoma, in McCurtain County. Marker is on U.S. 70 east of Oklahoma Highway N4450. Touch for map. Located at the Valliant Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Valliant OK 74764, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clear Creek Water Mill (here, next to this marker); Transportation Crossroads (approx. 8.1 miles away);
Elliott Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Byron Hooks, October 20, 2009
2. Elliott Academy Marker
Fort Towson Landing (approx. 8.1 miles away); Fort Towson (approx. 8.1 miles away); Doaksville (approx. 8.8 miles away); Stand Watie's Surrender (approx. 8.8 miles away).
 
Categories. African AmericansCharity & Public WorkEducationNative Americans
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2009, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,041 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2009, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement