Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Lemuel Chenoweth House
Lemuel and his brother Eli built a number of covered bridges on five Virginia turnpikes before the war, setting the standard for bridge construction. Their first bridge was built here in 1846 just behind where he later built his house. The covered bridge at Philippi, now restored to its original appearance, is the best known Chenoweth bridge, while the Barrackville bridge has the most remaining authentic material.
In 1837, Lemuel married Nancy Ann Hart and they had thirteen children. Two of their sons served in the Confederate Army. The eldest, Major Joseph H. Chenoweth, was killed at Port Republic. The second son, Zackary Taylor Chenoweth, then enlisted and served until the end of the war. Nevertheless, Union soldiers were billeted in the Chenoweth house during the war.
"...there is now better bridge builder than Mr. Chenoweth."
Superintendent Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va.
Location. 38° 50.52′ N, 79° 52.53′ W. Marker Touch for map. Located at stop 14 on the tour of Historic Beverly. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beverly Covered Bridge (here, next to this marker); Rowan House (within shouting distance of this marker); Crozet - Chenoweth / Rich Mountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Jonathan Arnold House (within shouting distance of this marker); Adam Crawford House (within shouting distance of this marker); Peter Buckey House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Occupied Beverly (about 400 feet away); The First Campaign (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beverly.
More about this marker. On the left is a photo of a bridge built by Chenoweth. This photo shows the building of Chenoweth's Burr Truss Beverly covered bridge in 1872, replacing the 1846 bridge burned in General Rosser's Raid in 1865. Lemuel obtained the funding for rebuilding the bridge in 1872 while serving in the West Virginia Legislature. This bridge was removed in favor of a modern highway bridge in the 1950s.
Also see . . .
1. Lemuel Chenoweth House and Museum. Page detailing the home's structure and the bridges built by Chenoweth. (Submitted on November 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. The Chenoweth House. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 832 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on October 16, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.