Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

David Goff House

 
 
David Goff House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
1. David Goff House Marker
Inscription. Edward Hart, son of John Hart who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, purchased the house standing here in 1795. Col. David Goff, a prominent Beverly lawyer, purchased it in 1830, and added the larger front portion of the house, possibly with Lemuel Chenoweth as the builder.

A colonel in the Virginia militia, Goff was an active supporter of the Confederacy and was instrumental in organizing the Confederate build-up in Beverly during the earliest days of the war. On the day of the Battle of Rich Mountain, Colonel Goff together with his family fled south for safety.

The vacated house was used as an official U.S. Army hospital during the war. Extensive graffiti on the walls of the house testify to this occupation.

"Beverly Union Hospital"
Hand lettered sign on front room wall.

This distinguished five-bay Federal style house has 6/6 windows with a central tripartite window on the second floor. The entrance door has decorative sidelights and divided transom, and the cornice has decorative scroll brackets. The broad porch with paneled columns wrapping around the front and both sides of the house was an early 20th century addition; most other add-ons have been removed in recent restoration work, leaving the house closer to its 19th century appearance. The original carriage house and tack room
David Goff House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
2. David Goff House and Marker
The house is currently used as a craft store.
still stand behind it.
 
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va.
 
Location. 38° 50.42′ N, 79° 52.531′ W. Marker is in Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 219), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at stop 33 on the tour of Historic Beverly. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blackman-Strader (within shouting distance of this marker); Randolph County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Randolph Co. Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Hill Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Birkett-Cresap (within shouting distance of this marker); Bushrod Crawford Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 1841 County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beverly.
 
Also see . . .  The David Goff House. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 795 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement