Katonah in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Organization of the Farm
John Jay Homestead
John Jay began planning his farm soon after he amassed the 750 acres by inheritance and purchase in the 1780s.
In 1832, William Jay made several improvements to the Jay farm. He enlarged the cow barn, renovated the main barn, had an old barn removed, and began construction on a new one. Many changes to the farm during this period were the result of Williamís experimentation with silage (winter animal feed), drainage, horticulture, and raising livestock.
In 1862, John Jayís grandson wrote that at the familyís Bedford farm the buildings appeared better and more numerous than on other farms because they had originally “been grouped together – so as to form a large cluster.”
Over the years, the family added more barns to this nucleus. Interestingly, almost all of the buildings were aligned on a north-south or east-west axis.
Erected by Friends of the Jay Homestead. (Marker Number 6.)
Location. 41° 15.102′ N, 73° 39.521′ W. Marker is in Katonah, New York, in Westchester County. Marker can be reached from Jay Street (New York State Route 22) 0.1 miles south of Beaver Dam Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Farm Managerís Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stable Courtyard (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barn Complex (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brick Lot (within shouting distance of this marker); Bedford House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sundial and Fountain Gardens (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Schoolhouse and Homestead Lawn (about 300 feet away); The John Jay Potting Sheds (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Katonah.
Categories. • Agriculture • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 21, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.