Katonah in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Barn Complex
John Jay Homestead
Barns are essential to a working farm. The main barn dates to the early 19th century. It was originally used for housing livestock, threshing grain, and storing hay. Sheds were added later to both sides of the barn and used to store tools, farm equipment, and feed. They also housed animals.
A three-stall, draft horse barn built between 1870 and 1885 is visible through the bullís paddock behind the main barn.
The smaller stone cow barn to the right of the main barn may have been constructed in 1831-32 by John Jayís son William. Only its foundation and later addition remain. The cow barn saw a variety of uses, the last being a dairy operation in 1922. Silos once added to either end of this barn no longer stand. Beyond the barn is a garage built in 1918.
Erected by Friends of the Jay Homestead. (Marker Number 7.)
Location. 41° 15.124′ N, 73° 39.52′ W. Marker is in Katonah, New York, in Westchester County. Marker can be reached from Jay Street (New York State Route 22) 0.1 miles south of Beaver Dam Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of the John Jay Homestead. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Route 22, Katonah NY 10536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Stable Courtyard (within shouting distance of this marker); The Organization of the Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); The Farm Managerís Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brick Lot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bedford House (about 300 feet away); The Schoolhouse and Homestead Lawn (about 400 feet away); The Sundial and Fountain Gardens (about 400 feet away); The John Jay Potting Sheds (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Katonah.
Categories. • Agriculture • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 607 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 21, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.