Katonah in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Stable Courtyard
John Jay Homestead
The coachman’s house on your right and carriage barn on your left were built between 1801 and 1802. gated stone fences connected the two buildings and created a courtyard where the coaches and horses could be cared for and prepared for use.
The second floor of the coachman’s house initially had both a hay loft and living quarters for the coachman. The lower level had stalls for Jay’s carriage and riding horses and ponies.
The carriage barn accommodated the Jay’s coaches, carriage horses, and tack (harnesses, bridles, etc.). Feed and hay were also stored here. Through the 1920s, a pair of large bay doors opened out into the courtyard to allow easy access for carriages. With the advent of automobiles, the carriage barn became a garage.
Erected by Friends of the Jay Homestead. (Marker Number 8.)
Location. 41° 15.114′ N, 73° 39.54′ W. Marker is in Katonah, New York, in Westchester County. Marker can be reached from Jay Street (New York State Route 22) 0.1 miles from Beaver Dam Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of the John Jay Homestead. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Route 22, Katonah NY 10536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other The Barn Complex (within shouting distance of this marker); The Organization of the Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); The Farm Manager’s Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brick Lot (within shouting distance of this marker); Bedford House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Schoolhouse and Homestead Lawn (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sundial and Fountain Gardens (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The North Lawn (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Katonah.
Categories. • Agriculture • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 574 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 21, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.