Granger in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brick Streets in Granger
By 1910 Grangerís economy was booming. It was an important cotton marketing and shipping point for the region, with a combined cotton compress and cottonseed oil mill, an ice factory, a waterworks, churches, banks and schools. The vast expanse of Davilla Street proved to be a problem, however, especially after rainstorms when the street became a colossal mud puddle. With the increasing popularity of the automobile, the issue of Davilla Street was even more pronounced, and the decision was made to pave it with bricks.
The job of paving Davilla Street took place in the summer of 1912. The weekly Granger News proclaimed, “Granger is said to boast the distinction of being the only city in the state of less than 5000 inhabitants that has paved streets, or that is paving them.” The Business League of Granger held annual “good roads and pavement celebrations” to continue its promotion of Granger as a progressive community.
Ironically, the proliferation of the automobile diminished
Erected 2001 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12426.)
Location. 30° 43.074′ N, 97° 26.72′ W. Marker is in Granger, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on West Davilla Street. Touch for map. On Davilla St. just west of the Rio Grande St. intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Granger TX 76530, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Granger Brethren Church (about 600 feet away); A. A. & Mary Spacek House (about 700 feet away); Granger City Hall (approx. ľ mile away); Young House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Granger High School (approx. half a mile away); Macedonia Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granger.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 895 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 13, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on September 7, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. 3. submitted on September 13, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.