Lebanon in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Van Sickle House
Located on lot No. 29 of the 1802 town plat, this land was bought by William H. Van Sickle in 1868 for $800. The house was built a short time later. Van Sickle was the grandson of one of Lebanon's founders, Ephraim Hathaway. A village councilman and owner of a nearby grocery on Mulberry Street, Van Sickle died here in 1888.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Van Sickle's daughter, Eloise, and her husband, Joseph P. Rawles, a local druggist, lived here well into the 1900s. Made in the Italianate style, the house is in the largest of Lebanon's four historic districts, the East End. In this area nearly 200 homes, built for the town's middle class in the late 1800s, remain relatively unaltered.
Erected by Lebanon Rotary Club.
Location. 39° 25.993′ N, 84° 12.338′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Ohio Route 123) and Cherry Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 E. Main Street, Lebanon OH 45036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ferguson House (within shouting Bundy House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lewis House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); I.O.O.F. Temple (about 500 feet away); The Town Plat / The Tharp House (about 700 feet away); Christmas Tree Park (about 700 feet away); The Town Square / City Hall Site (about 700 feet away); The Village Ice Cream Parlor (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,131 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.