Lebanon in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This house sits on lot No. 29 in the original 1802 plat of Lebanon. In 1805 the land was bought by William Ferguson, the town's first postmaster. Ferguson owned the Indian Chief Tavern. This inn was located one block to the west where the City Building's parking lot is today. Lot No. 29 remained Ferguson's until his death in 1831.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The west side of lot No. 29 was sold in 1856. Four years later, this house was built in the Gothic Revival architectural variation known as Carpenter Gothic. The cottage's steep gables with their gingerbread bargeboard typify this mid-1800s style. The alley to the west is one of four that divided Lebanon's original 100 lots.
Erected by Lebanon Rotary Club.
Location. 39° 25.994′ N, 84° 12.357′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is on Main Street (Ohio Route 123), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. House and marker are located between Mechanic and Cherry Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 E. Main Street, Lebanon OH 45036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Van Sickle House (within shouting Bundy House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lewis House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); I.O.O.F. Temple (about 400 feet away); The Town Plat / The Tharp House (about 600 feet away); Christmas Tree Park (about 600 feet away); The Town Square / City Hall Site (about 700 feet away); The Village Ice Cream Parlor (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 739 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.