Andice in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Rocky Hollow Cemetery
[Original marker text. Marker has been missing since 1997.]
In the 1850s, a group of pioneer Black slaves came to this area from Union County, Arkansas, and founded what is now known as the Rocky Hollow Community. This cemetery soon was established on land given by Thomas P. Chapman. Although it was used before the Civil War began, the first marked grave, that of Confederate veteran William Bacon Tucker, is dated 1865. Known in earlier times as Bullion and as Little Arkansas, Rocky Hollow Cemetery continues to be maintained by descendants of the community’s founders and of many ex-slaves.
[Replacement marker re-dedicated October 9, 2010]
This cemetery was established on land owned by Thomas P. Chapman, along the route of the Georgetown-Lampasas road. Although it was mentioned in deed records as early as 1859, the earliest marked grave, that of Confederate veteran William Bacon Tucker, is dated 1865. By 1870, the cemetery was no longer utilized by Anglo Pioneers but continued to be used by former slaves who lived in the nearby Rocky Hollow community. In 1974, graves from Sedwick Family Cemetery were moved to this site because of the creation of Lake Georgetown. Today, Rocky Hollow Cemetery continues to be maintained by descendants of the community’s founder.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 30° 44.23′ N, 97° 47.979′ W. Marker was in Andice, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker could be reached from the intersection of CR-247 and FM-2338. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Georgetown TX 78628, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Fore Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Andice Baptist Church (approx. 4.5 miles away); Rock House Community (approx. 4.9 miles away); Site of Loafer's Glory Apostolic Church (approx. 5.8 miles away); North Fork of the San Gabriel River (approx. 6.3 miles away); Williams-Buck Cemetery (approx. 6.6 miles away); Early Church (approx. 7 miles away); Manuel Flores (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Andice.
Also see . . .
1. Handbook of Texas Online: ROCKY HOLLOW, TEXAS. (Submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
2. Rocky Hollow - Little Arkansas - Bullion and Sedwick Cemetery. Rocky Hollow - Little Arkansas - Bullion and Sedwick Cemetery (Submitted on April 21, 2011, by Wayne Ware of Georgetown, Texas.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 601 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on April 21, 2011, by Wayne Ware of Georgetown, Texas. 3. submitted on December 9, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the new, replacement marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?