Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jeﬀerson Davis at the Lanier House
After a difficult journey via Sandersville, Dublin and Abbeville, he camped a mile north of Irwinville (106 miles S) in the present Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park, unaware that, in Dublin, the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry [US] had found his trail and begun a pursuit.
At dawn on May 10th, his camp was surrounded by men of the 1st Wisconsin and 4th Michigan cavalry regiments [US]. Mr. Davis and his party were seized and brought to the Lanier House, headquarters of Brevet Major General James H. Wilson, USA, commanding the Cavalry Corps, Military Division of the Mississippi [US], which had occupied Macon on April 20th after a destructive raid through central Alabama and western Georgia.
On May 13, the revered leader of the Lost Cause was removed to Fortress Monroe, Virginia, via Atlanta, Augusta and Savannah, where, until May 13, 1867, he was held as a “state prisoner,” his hopes for a new nation -- in which each
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 011-16.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 50.25′ N, 83° 37.633′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on Mulberry Street 0 miles east of 2nd Street, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Macon GA 31201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilson's Raid To Macon (a few steps from this marker); Bibb County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War Era Maconites of African Ancestry (about 500 feet away); First Public Camellia Show (about 500 feet away); Post 3 Macon (about 500 feet away); Christ Church (about 600 feet away); William Arthur Fickling, Sr. (about 600 feet away); Freemasonry in Macon (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
Categories. • Government • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,145 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.