Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of New Bern Church, School, and Cemetery

 
 
Site of New Bern Church, School, and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
1. Site of New Bern Church, School, and Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Swiss and German immigrants who settled here in the early 1890s named their settlement for Bern, Switzerland. In 1892 the newly organized St. John Lutheran Church built a sanctuary which also housed the New Bern school here on 2.5 acres donated by Daniel Murphy. The New Bern Cemetery (0.1 mi. E of this site) was established in 1895 on 3 acres acquired from Friedrich and Anna Stauffer. Though a new church building (1912) and school house (1920) were moved to the nearby community of Wuthrich Hill in 1949 the cemetery continues to serve the community.
 
Erected 1993 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9310.)
 
Location. 30° 37.786′ N, 97° 19.671′ W. Marker is near Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on County Road 414, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Taylor TX 76574, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Town of Thrall (approx. 3.3 miles away); St. John Lutheran Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Howard Bland, Sr. (approx. 5.3 miles away); David H. and Jerusha Dyches McFadin House (approx. 5.5 miles away); Luther Stearns, Sr. (approx. 5.7 miles away); Site of Moravia School (approx. 5.8 miles away); Dr. James Lee Dickey (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Notable Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 793 times since then and 42 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 13, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide area photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement