Near Mechanicsburg in Hampshire County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Abandonment of Fort Mill Ridge
With Lee's defeat at Gettysburg on July 3rd, the Union troops at New Creek were ordered to move eastward along the Potomac River toward Martinsburg. On August 15th, Campbell's command returned from the east and reoccupied the encampment at Fort Mill Ridge.
Throughout the remaining summer and fall, the Union troops resumed their duties of picketing, patrolling, and drilling. Military activities in West Virginia in the fall of 1863, however, were generally quiet. On November 6, 1863 Campbell's command was ordered north to Springfield. Their departure ended the Union occupation of Fort Mill Ridge and Romney for the remainder of the war. The region continued to be a contested area, however, with forces of both sides passing through the area on various raids and missions until the ending of hostilities.
Fri 12. we had grand
Diary of Joshua Winters, June 1863.
Location. 39° 19.417′ N, 78° 47.677′ W. Marker is near Mechanicsburg, West Virginia, in Hampshire County. Marker can be reached from Fort Mill Ridge Park Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located at trail stop 10 on the tour of Fort Mill Ridge Park. Marker is in this post office area: Burlington WV 26710, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Control of the Mechanicsburg Gap (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ditch as a Second Line of Defense (within shouting distance of this marker); Interior of the Central Redoubt (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Central Redoubt (about 300 feet away); An Outpost in Enemy Territory (about 400 feet away); Construction of Fort Mill Ridge (about 400 feet away); Engagement with McNeill's Rangers (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mechanicsburg.
More about this marker.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 829 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.