Near Elgin in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Type Cemetery was established on land conveyed by Peder and Christine Nygaard when the Swedish Free Mission church was founded in May 1908. The tombstones of Anna Amalia Hansen (Hanson) (d. 1910) and Christina Fredrickson (d. 1915) are inscribed in Swedish, merely one indication of the strong cultural identification of the early settlers with their homelands. Burials before 1950 are primarily those of members of the Carlson, Hanson, Nygard, Nyman, and Swenson families.
The small number of Scandinavian burials in the cemetery after 1950 reflects the groupís assimilation into American culture and the dispersal of local young people to cities. In 1954 the Swedish Free Mission Church merged with Kimbroís Free Church. Of the 36 graves counted in 1998, eleven were those of Swedish immigrants and fifteen were first or second generation Scandinavian Texans. Several Mexican graves were located on the eastern edge of the cemetery. The Yegua Creek Evangelical Free Church, which relocated to this site in 1987, maintains the Type Cemetery.
Erected 1998 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12309.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 CR-466, Elgin TX 78621, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mager Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); St. Peters United Church of Christ (approx. 3.9 miles away); United States Senator Morgan C. Hamilton (approx. 3.9 miles away); Pioneer Publisher and Printer David Ervin Lawhon (approx. 4.3 miles away); Lund (approx. 4.4 miles away); Post Oak Island Lodge #181, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elgin.
1. Type, Texas
Clara Sterns writes in her book The Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History, published by Williamson County Suns Publishers in 1973: “Type is on Dry Brushy Creek three miles southeast of Coupland and two miles from the Bastrop county line in southeast Williamson County. The Type school, which had thirty-eight pupils in 1903, dates from 1900. A Bastrop County post office was established in Type in 1902 with August Smith as postmaster; it closed in 1904. A crossroads community was settled in the early 1900s by Swedish emigrants a mile north of the site of the school, and a Swedish Evangelical Church was organized at Type in 1908. The community had a population of twenty and one business in 1940 and was listed as a Bastrop County town by the Texas Almanac of that year. The school at Type was merged with the Coupland school in 1945. In 1949 Type had forty inhabitants and two businesses. The population remained stable at forty inhabitants through 2000,
— Submitted December 21, 2009.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 14, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 836 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 14, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.