Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
King William in King William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

King William County Courthouse

 
 
King William County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, December 22, 2009
1. King William County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The King William County courthouse, erected early in the second quarter of the 18th century, is one of the older courthouses still in use in the United States. This T-shaped building was constructed of brick laid in Flemish bond, with an arcade imitating the first capital in Williamsburg. One of the best preserved of Virginia's colonial courthouse buildings, it features fine Georgian brickwork. About 1840 the courthouse was enlarged with a unique stile and a brick wall was erected to enclose the court green. Its rural historic setting is a rare survival.
 
Erected 2001 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number OC 27.)
 
Location. 37° 41.23′ N, 77° 0.806′ W. Marker is in King William, Virginia, in King William County. Marker is at the intersection of Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 1301) and Horse Landing Road (Virginia Route 619), on the right when traveling west on Courthouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: King William VA 23086, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. King William Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Cockacoeske (approx. 0.7 miles away); Pamunkey Indians
King William County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, December 22, 2009
2. King William County Courthouse Marker
(approx. 0.7 miles away); King William Training School (approx. 1.2 miles away); Acquinton Church (approx. 2.5 miles away); Mattaponi Indians (approx. 4.7 miles away); Hillsboro (approx. 4.9 miles away); Where Dahlgren Died (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in King William.
 
Also see . . .  King William County History & Tourism. (Submitted on December 25, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
King William County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, December 22, 2009
3. King William County Courthouse
King William Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, December 22, 2009
4. King William Courthouse
Built 1725
Oldest Courthouse In
United States
In Continuous Use
Virginia Landmarks Register (November 1968) & National Register of Historic Places (October 1969) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, December 22, 2009
5. Virginia Landmarks Register (November 1968) & National Register of Historic Places (October 1969)
King William County
Colonial Court House
Erected 1725
in continous use
since erection
UDC Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, December 22, 2009
6. UDC Plaque
In memory of
Henry Jenner Jones
Born in
King William County
Virginia
On March 10, 1847
A VMI cadet
Private D Company
Killed in
The Battle of New Market
On May 15, 1864

Erected by
West Point Chapter
United Daughters of
the Confederacy
King William Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, September 14, 2011
7. King William Courthouse
The oldest courthouse in continuous use in the United States
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 25, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 782 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 25, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   7. submitted on September 14, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement