Beaufort in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House
Over time, the church grew and was constituted The Baptist Church of Beaufort in 1804, with Rev. Joseph Bullein Cook, pastor. Soon after, in 1805, the structure was enlarged, extending the old building northward and producing a building measuring 65' - 8" by 36 - 4". Galleries were added to accommodate the large black membership; later, a bell tower was added.
In 1842 the north wall began to bulge and the roof was failing, leading to the condemnation and demolition of the structure. The tabby walls were cut down to a uniform height and capped with concrete. The present brick sanctuary was completed in 1844 under the direction of Dr. Richard Fuller, pastor. It is recorded that the church worshiped for the first time in the new building on April 14, 1844. In November 1845, on the site of old church, burial lots were allotted and
Erected by The Baptist Church of Beaufort.
Location. 32° 26.099′ N, 80° 40.387′ W. Marker is in Beaufort, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Charles Street near Prince Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located northside of churchyard / cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Beaufort SC 29902, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Baptist Church of Beaufort (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Helena's Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Helena's Church (about 700 feet away); Robert Smalls (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tabernacle Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Maxcy - Rhett House / "Secession House" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Henry Woodward, Surgeon 1646-1686 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaufort.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 821 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on December 28, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.